The automated fermenting system was designed to achieve a high analysis quality at the lowest possible cost. Thanks to the specially developed process management, the acquisition, maintenance and personnel costs can be kept low despite the high-grade measuring technology.
The automated fermenting system allows for precise and accurate analyses:
- Large fermentation reactors (2 liters) enable the examination of non-comminuted and inhomogeneous samples. The fermentation processes are thus replicated realistically.
- Identification of inhibited gas-evolution behavior by high resolution in areas with high gas-formation rates.
- High-quality analyses are achieved both by directly measuring the total biogas volume and by analyzing the gas composition of the entire biogas. For each gas volume measurement, the gas composition is simultaneously analyzed for methane (CH4) and carbon dioxide (CO2).
The fermenter developed at Offenburg University is equipped with one UPS (uninterrupted power supply unit) and one compressed air reservoir. Thus, interruption such as e.g. compensates voltage fluctuations and prevents loss of measured data. These components avoid repetition of measurements with an analysis time of up to four weeks.
Low investment and low operating and maintenance costs:
- The plant engineering allows for automatic measurement of biogas without manpower during the entire fermentation process (volume, gas composition).
- Manpower is only necessary for preparation and post-processing activities.
- Simplified reporting, since the measurement data are evaluated automatically at the push of a button through an Excel program.
- No expensive sample preparation required (such as for homogenization or comminution) due to large fermentation vessels (2 liters).
- Low maintenance costs due to specifically developed pinch valves.
- Drive of 14 anchor stirrers via only two electric motors.
- Cost-effective gas volume measurement with eudiometer tubes.
- The gas-composition analysis of all installed reactors is performed by only one gas analyzer (= low calibration and maintenance costs).